(1) Any place where an activity declared a common nuisance by K.S.A. 22-3901, and amendments thereto, is maintained;
(2) any police, sheriff or highway patrol station;
(3) any detention facility, prison or jail;
(4) any courthouse;
(5) any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in the judge's courtroom;
(6) any polling place on the day an election is held;
(7) any meeting of the governing body of a county, city or other political or taxing subdivision of the state, or any committee or subcommittee thereof;
(8) on the state fairgrounds;
(9) any state office building;
(10) any athletic event not related to or involving firearms which is sponsored by a private or public elementary or secondary school or any private or public institution of postsecondary education;
(11) any professional athletic event not related to or involving firearms;
(12) any portion of a drinking establishment as defined by K.S.A. 41-2601, and amendments thereto, except that this provision shall not apply to a restaurant as defined by K.S.A. 41-2601, and amendments thereto;
(13) any elementary or secondary school, attendance center, administrative office, services center or other facility;
(14) any community college, college or university facility;
(15) any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal or state law;
(16) any child exchange and visitation center provided for in K.S.A. 75-720, and amendments thereto;
(17) any community mental health center organized pursuant to K.S.A. 19-4001 et seq., and amendments thereto; mental health clinic organized pursuant to K.S.A. 65-211 et seq., and amendments thereto; psychiatric hospital licensed under K.S.A. 75-3307b, and amendments thereto; or state psychiatric hospital, as follows: Larned state hospital, Osawatomie state hospital or Rainbow mental health facility;
(18) any city hall;
(19) any public library operated by the state or by a political subdivision of the state;
(20) any day care home or group day care home, as defined in Kansas administrative regulation 28-4-113, or any preschool or childcare center, as defined in Kansas administrative regulation 28-4-420;
(21) any church or temple; or
(22) any place in violation of K.S.A. 21-4218, and amendments thereto.
(b) (1) Violation of this section is a class A misdemeanor.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), it is not a violation of this section for the United States attorney for the district of Kansas, the attorney general, any district attorney or county attorney, any assistant United States attorney if authorized by the United States attorney for the district of Kansas, any assistant attorney general if authorized by the attorney general, or any assistant district attorney or assistant county attorney if authorized by the district attorney or county attorney by whom such assistant is employed, to possess a firearm within any county courthouse or court-related facility, subject to any restrictions or prohibitions imposed in any courtroom by the chief judge of the judicial district. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any person not in compliance with K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c19, and amendments thereto.
History: L. 2006, ch. 32, § 10; L. 2006, ch. 210, § 7; L. 2007, ch. 166, § 5; L. 2009, ch. 92, § 5; July 1.