(1) Is a United States citizen;
(2) has been fingerprinted and a search of local, state and national fingerprint files has been made to determine whether the applicant has a criminal record;
(3) has not been convicted, does not have an expunged conviction, and on and after July 1, 1995, has not been placed on diversion by any state or the federal government for a crime which is a felony or its equivalent under the uniform code of military justice;
(4) has not been convicted, does not have an expunged conviction, has not been placed on diversion by any state or the federal government for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or its equivalent under the uniform code of military justice, when such misdemeanor crime of domestic violence was committed on or after the effective date of this act;
(5) is the holder of a high-school diploma or furnishes evidence of successful completion of an examination indicating an equivalent achievement;
(6) is of good moral character;
(7) has completed a psychological test approved by the commission;
(8) is free of any physical or mental condition which might adversely affect the applicant's performance of a police officer's or law enforcement officer's duties; and
(9) is at least 21 years of age.
(b) The provisions of paragraph (1) of subsection (a) shall not apply to a citizen of the United Kingdom with prior law enforcement experience who resides in Finney county. This subsection shall expire on July 1, 2007.
History: L. 1968, ch. 81, § 5; L. 1982, ch. 322, § 6; L. 1983, ch. 256, § 4; L. 1986, ch. 301, § 1; L. 1987, ch. 277, § 4; L. 1995, ch. 180, § 4; L. 1996, ch. 256, § 16; L. 1997, ch. 168, § 3; L. 2003, ch. 60, § 1; L. 2004, ch. 149, § 2; L. 2006, ch. 170, § 10; July 1.