(2) An application for voter registration submitted under subsection (a)(1) shall be considered as updating any previous voter registration by the applicant.
(b) The voter registration section of the application:
(1) May require a second signature or other information that duplicates, or is in addition to, information in the driver's license or nondriver's identification card section of the application to prevent duplicate voter registrations, and to enable Kansas election officials to assess the eligibility of the applicant and to administer voter registration and other parts of the election process;
(2) shall include a statement that specifies each eligibility requirement for voting, contains an attestation that the applicant meets each such requirement, including citizenship, and requires the signature of the applicant, under penalty of perjury;
(3) shall include a statement that, if an applicant declines to register to vote, the fact that the applicant has declined to register will remain confidential and will be used only for voter registration purposes;
(4) shall include a statement that if an applicant does register to vote, the office at which the applicant submits a voter registration application will remain confidential and will be used only for voter registration purposes;
(5) shall be made available by the division of vehicles (as submitted by the applicant, or in machine-readable or other format) to the secretary of state and county election officers, as provided by rules and regulations adopted by the secretary of state; and
(6) shall be transmitted to the county election officer not later than five days after the date of acceptance.
(c) The motor vehicle driver's license and nondriver identification card form used for change of residence address shall also serve as a notification of change of residence address for voter registration for elections, unless the registrant states on the form that the change is not for voter registration purposes.
(d) The voter registration portion of the motor vehicle driver's license and nondriver identification card applications and change of address forms used shall be subject to approval by the secretary of state for purposes of voter registration under this section.
(e) Following the line fixed for the signature of the applicant on the application for voter registration, a statement shall be printed stating that the penalty for submission of a false voter registration application is a maximum presumptive sentence of 17 months in prison.
(f) The secretary of state is hereby authorized to adopt such rules and regulations in the manner prescribed by law as may be necessary for the administration of the provisions of this section.
History: L. 1993, ch. 140, § 1; L. 1996, ch. 187, § 14; Apr. 25.